OLD CROW SOLAR PROJECT
Old Crow is a First Nation community of approximately 260 people located north of the Arctic Circle without permanent road access. The community relies heavily on fossil fuel for transportation, to deliver goods to the community, and to generate power and heat. The community declared a climate emergency in 2019 and made the goal of becoming carbon neutral by 2030.
3EYOND Consulting was mandated to develop a Community Energy Plan with the community to define a road map to achieve carbon neutrality.
- Community Energy Planning
- The demand for electricity, heat and transportation fuel has been increasing in the community for the past 15 years
- Goods are imported to Old Crow by air freight
- There is no single greenhouse gas protocol applicable to First Nation communities
- Establish a greenhouse gas baseline for good and services consumed in Old Crow and for good imported to Old Crow
- Develop workshops for community leadership to make informed decisions
- Model energy and greenhouse gas trends to 2030
- Present potential solutions and high level business cases to reduce or eliminate greenhouse gas emissions for power generation, building heating and transportation
Project at a Glance
OLD CROW, YUKON
VUNTUT GWITCHIN GOVERNMENT (VGG)
COMMUNITY ENERGY PLAN